Experienced Oakland County Defense Attorney

What Happens If My License Gets Revoked Again?

What does license revocation entail?

License revocations are the most serious action the state can take against your driving license. Revocations completely wipe out your ability to operate a motor vehicle; if you want to restore your license, you’ll need to wait a year before you’re allowed to make a restoration request.

Once a year passes, you’ll need to gather documents and testimony to provide evidence that you’d be a safe driver; only then will you be able to drive again.

However, if you get your license revoked again within seven years of your first revocation, you’ll be barred from requesting a reinstatement of your driving privileges for five years. If you rely on driving for work, a five-year revocation would require you to find a new career. If your license or livelihood is at stake, it’s vital that you find a suspended license attorney you can trust.

What If I Drive on a Suspended or Revoked License & Get Caught?

Driving on a suspended or revoked license in Michigan is a crime, and you could face jail time and heavy fees if you’re convicted. In most cases, the court will charge you with a misdemeanor; misdemeanor charges come with up to 93 days in jail and as much as $500 in fees. If you’re convicted for the same offense again, you may end up spending a year in jail and receiving a $1,000 fine. In both cases, your registration plates will be cancelled.

However, if you end up causing injury or death behind the wheel while driving with a suspended or revoked license, the court will charge you with a felony. If you’re convicted, you could be facing up to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. Your vehicle may be forfeited to the state as well, which is an additional financial loss.

If you’ve been accused of driving on a suspended license, or you need your license reinstated, speak with me in a free strategy session. As a Farmington Hills suspended license attorney with more than 17 years of experience, I can help you understand your options and protect your interests.